Essex is a very diverse university with students from over 130 different countries. Here are some facts about the university which explain why international students choose Essex as a place to study.
- It is ranked 2nd in the UK for student satisfaction.
- Ranked 21st overall in THE’s list of the top 200 most international universities in the world.
- In the top 5 for social science research in the UK.
- There is award-winning accommodation guaranteed to international students.
- A range of notable alumni – a president, Members of Parliament, the first Mexican astronaut, film directors and two Nobel Prize winners.
- Great employment prospects with 91.9% of international graduates in employment or further study within six months.
- International students make up 40% of the university.
Here are some further points as to why EU/International students should study at Essex in my opinion.
- Great location! All three campuses are close to London. The main campus in Colchester is an hours train ride away.
- Campus accommodation is very social and a fun place to live. However, if you prefer to rent a place off campus, the university has a great facility on campus called ‘Student Lets’ to help you find a place that you are looking for.
- There are nearly as many international students as home students, so there will be many other people in your position to talk to and make friends with.
- There are around 165 sports clubs and societies to join through the Student Union, a great way to make friends!
- Sports clubs are all free to join and you can join as many as you want.
- You can start your own society if you feel passionate about something and the university doesn’t already offer it.
The University of Essex is a great place to study! I am currently on my year abroad in Australia and will be returning to Essex for my final year towards the end of this year. I would totally recommend doing either your whole degree or a term/year abroad, it really is a great experience!